Sunday, May 18, 2014

Thank You….


It is hard to believe this is my last week at Glenmont and teaching 5th grade.  It has been a true pleasure working with you and your child this school year.  I am very impressed with all that the children have accomplished this year.  Thank you for sharing your child with me over the past 9 months.  I am confident that each child is prepared and ready to be successful in the Middle School.  I wish you and and your child a terrific summer and the best of luck in Middle School. I look forward to our last week together and I hope to see some of you at this Wednesday's last learning luncheon. It has been a true pleasure.  I will always cherish my memories teaching and working with the amazing families of Glenmont.

I have been working hard over the last several weeks to ensure that your child has an easy transition and smooth last month of 5th grade. I am extremely confident that your child will have a successful and productive June .  As you all know Mr. Ryan will be your child's 5th grade teacher beginning on May 27th.  Mr. Ryan and I have been working very closely over the last several weeks. We are working collaboratively on the end of the year report cards.  I have completed the majority of the report cards based upon what I have assessed throughout the year.  Mr. Ryan will finish each report card in June.    He is eager and excited to be your child's teacher.  Please feel free to contact him with any questions and or concerns at mryan2@bcsd.neric.org.

Here is what we are up to this week:

We had a great Middle School visit on Friday.  The children took a tour, met several 6th grade teachers, and had the opportunity to visit 5 different classes.  This visit will help make their transition much easier.

Tomorrow we are going on a field trip to Pine Hollow Arboretum in Slingerlands.  Please make sure your child dresses appropriately for the weather.  Everyone must wear pants and a long sleeved shirt.  We will return to school by lunch time.

On Wednesday, we have our last learning luncheon of the school year.  We will reflect upon the children's amazing writing.  I will share the children's writing portfolios with families,  you will have an opportunity to provide feedback on the children's writing, and then you will take the portfolios home.  I look forward to our last luncheon together.

We are working on two large writing pieces in class.  The children are currently writing a non-fiction book on the Westward Expansion.  They are taking all of their research and are currently drafting it into a book.  The children are also working on their Latin America project.  All research is due this Friday, May 23rd.  It is important that the children are describing their research not just listing it.  They should be working on research every day this week for homework.  Next week the children will begin writing their Latin America travel guides.

The children are of course still working in reading workshop where they are reading their literature circle and independent books.

Thank you for your support!

Fondly,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment