Sunday, March 23, 2014

Another Great Week….

Welcome to another great week of 5th grade.  Below is an update on what we are working on this week in The Kourt Room:

A Quick Note:
As I am sure you know a note was sent home Friday from Mrs. Heffernan, regarding my new position as principal at Walter B. Howard Elementary School.  I have been teaching for 12 years and have loved every second of it. It will be incredibly hard to say goodbye to the children, my colleagues, and wonderful families at Glenmont School.  Being a teacher is the most rewarding and exciting jobs.  I am excited to open up the 4 walls of my classroom to inspire and lead an entire school community to success. It has always been a dream of mine to be an elementary school principal.  For the past 4 years I have worked hard to prepare for this new journey.  I am excited to start this new chapter of my career.

This new position begins on June 2nd.  This start date is out of my control and I understand that the timing is not great.  I will work incredibly hard to ensure your child has an easy transition and the very best last month of 5th grade.  As soon as I know who my replacement is I will be sure to let you know. I will work together with this new teacher to ensure the very best transition. I look forward to working with you and your child over the next 2 months. I appreciate your support and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions.

Reading:
We will continue to get ready for next week's ELA state assessment.  This week we will practice answering multiple choice and short answer type questions.  When the children read the passages carefully and try their best they have shown greater success.  This practice will help the children understand the assessment's format and hopefully build their confidence to succeed.  Towards the end of the week I will give the children a practice test so that they can practice the timing of the assessment. We will of course continue working in reading workshop where the children will read their literature circle and independent books.

Writing:
We will continue our literary essay unit in writing.  The children are finishing up their third literary essay.  They are currently writing an essay about theme.  This essay is based upon two short stories, and the children have to compare and contrast both story's themes.  I will be sending this essay home with a rubric for you and your child to read through together and grade for homework this week.  This assignment will provide the children with additional feedback and let you know the specific expectations.  The children will begin a new theme essay this week based upon two different short stories.

Social Studies:
Your child's American History project is due this Friday.  I passed out a rubric last week so that the children know exactly how I will grade this project.  You are invited to our 5th grade American History Project Display at 10am on Monday, March 31st.  This event will take the place of our already scheduled learning luncheon (no need to bring a lunch!!)   We hope you can make it!

Have a great week!

Thanks,
Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment